Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Lessons learned

well, I've learned a new thing or two today.

I've always thought, once I have one of the "people puzzles" sketched out I could just redraw it up to a larger size and it would be the same. I've even thought I could redraw the same basic outline again and just change the colorways = new picture. I've just discovered this does not work!

I'm not talking tracing, technically I could do that with each little figure, but that tends to get out of alignment too. So I don't like it and never do it.

So here I've been - rocking out , trying to resketch the watercolor one I wanted to redo and some other pieces into a larger size. And they are totally, completely different from the originals. On one I was trying to get the scale from smaller in the center to larger on the edges. - so it looks like it pulls inwards.
One isn't as small but is way larger in general, and the other, whoa, it's going to be trippy, it's big in the middle (the exact opposite) then it kind of bends in and out around the sides, and it's all radial symmetry (-pretty much there are always a few extras floating around in there. I don't like them too perfect.) I think it's going to be awesome I think.

This one is 8 1/2 x 11. I am just going to work on top of this original ink piece and see what happens since it is proving impossible to redraw to the size I would like it.




















Green Glow
8 1/2 x 11 colored pencil.
This is the completed piece.



















This is the other sketch I'm trying to figure out what to do with, if I can redraw it.
It's gel pens and ink so I can't simply pencil on top, won't stick. That's the other lesson learned today.
8 1/2 x 11
















So now I'm thinking about all the dozens of sketches in my books, I might as well try to make them their own pieces instead of thinking of them as only sketches to be redrawn, because obviously that's a lot harder to do than I thought. Which is good in a way. It's not something that can be easily replicated, like I've always thought. I end up making something entirely different each time.

So now I've got 4 things in the works right now, I must be out of my mind!

No comments: