Friday, January 30, 2009

Figures and Perspective

Reveries
colored pencil. 11 x 14.
This is a companion piece sort of to 'falling out of a dream'.
They were made at the same time anyway. I was playing with color, trying to see what effects I could get with the solid application I usually do. Now that I'm finally starting to break out of that solidity, I'm starting to see more of the effects I want. I think the whole "no paper showing" technique is a result of the puzzle pieces where it works really well to layer colors that way. I've since discovered that a lighter touch is necessary for the symbolistic pieces where a more realistic effect is what I want. The HARD part is getting my hand to agree to not overwork it!





















Falling out of a dream
Colored pencil 11 x 14. 2004

Just working on shading, perspective, color and composition. I like the background with the ironwork on this one. The face needs work, but oh well.


No comments: