Friday, January 23, 2009

Some experiments

I started getting a little restless with my usual imagery. The options really are limitless as to what I can do with these figures it seems. But I still try to break out of my self imposed style at times. My teachers also found it somewhat restricting and would try to get me to think outside the box. Some ideas worked, some didn't.

Catch. Watercolor
This is an experiment that I rather like but has had mixed reviews. At the time the demand was up for more design centered pieces, radial symmetry like Kaleidoscope, Family, etc. I was wanting to break out from that a bit. So I added the Net, one of my favorite doodles that I tend to do often. Once again the design goes out onto the mat. This was the first time I attempted it in watercolor though, it was very challenging to get those colors to pop on the matboard! If you can't see it, there's a monster chasing figures underneath the net. ( Bill never liked this one so it's been hiding out in the garage / studio for a while.!)

















This was a classroom experiment that didn't turn out. I'll probably redo it soon. I still like the original concept. My watercolor Teacher didn't like the ink outlines in my work. So he asked me to try one without them, he also wanted some of the figures to remain clear. So I tried it. But it's just never felt right to me. I even tried outlining with watercolor paint and a TINY brush, it's just not right.... I need the ink! The white figures make me feel it's not finished, there's nothing that gives it that movement that I like to give them. So we'll see what I can do with it soon.



















Grasp. Watercolor with colored pencil.
Basically the only watercolor is the figures in the background.
Most art teachers when I was in school were definitely purists. You just didn't do mixed media, it could ONLY be one thing at a time. Colored pencil and watercolor mixing was a big "no - no", just like mixing acrylics and oils or acrylics and watercolor- no way. And they instilled this in me, I still get this guilt when ever I attempt anything like this, like I'm cheating or something.
But I'm noticing more and more artists are doing this mixing. Daniel Merriam is one of my favorite artists and he's been mixing acrylics into his watercolors for a little while now. I have to admit, though I love his work I tend to not like the ones as much with the acrylic mixed in. Is it a prejudice, or simple opinion? I don't know anymore!
But I'm determined to experiment more. I figure if everyone else is, the times must be changing!
This is one of my "puzzle" pieces where I'm trying to fit contrasting colors into different sections of the piece. I've always liked this one but may redo it at some point because there are some things that I definitely could improve upon.

















Flight
colored pencil with paint pen outlining
This is a merging of my more graphic style and more realistic drawing in the face. I have always done faces and portraits alongside whatever other style I am in at the moment.
This is a remembrance of my friend and former muse Vannies face merged with the bird elements that often pop up in my work.


No comments: