Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Finally catching up

We're getting closer to the present time, a few more posts maybe, then the fun will start as I am going to try very hard this year to produce more. I have lots of things in the works right now. And lots of inspiration. Plus I just got a new monitor. Gee the internet looks so much different - the way it's supposed to! Instead of on an old outdated gateway monitor!

Alright, here are a couple of pictures that defy categorization.



Poppy Girl
Ink, and metallic leaf pen
This was the design for a poetry book. It was based on a piece of art nouveau clip art that I liked the design of but I ended up changing almost everything in the end, the eyes, the flower, mouth etc. one of my favorite ink pieces. I love Dover clip art books, get unlimited inspiration from them.


















This is colored pencil on the front of a manilla envelope I made for my friend Darren who died in 2001 of cancer. He was only 32 and was a great friend who always did his best to push and inspire me to keep drawing and doing art no matter what. He is very much missed.

He loved tattoos and was getting some beautiful sleeves done of water and fish etc at the time, hence the inspiration.The sad thing is he never saw this.

(This description was given by a viewer on DA, I like it, I never see such things myself, but this very aptly describes it!)
This one is great too. Strong color, bold delineations, no nonsense composition. Just by the title, and not knowing it is actually drawn on an envelope, the title gives it a mysteriousness that is bolstered by the treacherous water (as a symbol of the subconscience) with the fish caught half above and half below the surface (like most people's motivations for behavior).

















This was basically just a doodle drawn on some 8 x 10 green scrap matboard, with gel pens and a little bit of white and blue paint marker for the highlights. I liked gel pens a lot, they seem to have fallen out of fashion, so I'm hoarding the ones I have now.! (at least 60!)



No comments: